27 April 2011

san francisco




i didn't keep any pictures   but i remember your face    how you said  ‘women desire disgrace’ how every leaf that decided to fall took the risk freely or didn't bother   at all how all the evil that ever was done could never be traced   at least not to one

i remember

you made such afflictions seem meaningless   were quickly alluring when coming to rest
you said   ‘my worries wander   yours stay at home’  in a dream that i had too close to the bone
i thought that you had it
thought that you meant it
i thought that the time was   at least
well documented
there was nothing    i could say
because there was nothing
that would stand in your way

it wasn't something i had
it was something i said that made you feel so bad
it wasn't the lies that led into this door
and it wasn't the words that were left on the floor

you wouldn't even read it
you didn't even write
i thought you would call
thought you would fight

i thought this was different
thought you were better
i think she'd have told us
if you had let her
so i decided
about san francisco
 left this place like i hadn't before
nobody liked me
everybody denied me
was i jesus showing up at your door?
you said ‘ i don't go breaking bread like jesus did
i just go out on a sunday to have lunch with my friends’
i decided it was san francisco

you couldn't      really
but i thought that you
would be a little more willing
a little more smile
a little more tact
a little more something
 not this bull shit act
do you think that this is more than just a release?
do you think that you've
got something on the police?


did i show you that none of this hurts?          
did i show you   pete rose signed my shirt?

                 thought of the letters you claimed you would write
          the grace that would come in full flight
     that i could share something more than my life
 i wanted something more than a wife

it wasn't really my style
but i told everyone about your smile
                                             i took it out    i put it down
                      like everything else   it began to resound


lay side to side      then back to back
as you were planning the little attack
you made the best of what could've been death
and made such a point of sharing all of your breath

i felt so young just to wake up old
only wish that i had never been told
the story of how you couldn't have known
subtle and sure     just as surely alone
nobody knew i was wasting my sight
nobody knew of my shame to be white
your color was red      color was clean
the most beautiful i had yet seen

then i remember
                  the one solid night

         when i tried to make you say everything right
         i remember your reluctance to feel
                                             remember   a promise      so real

i couldn't resolve
couldn't retract
not with the kisses
stabbing like that
looked into
all the lines in your face
you said it again
‘women desire disgrace’

i saw shoes at the end of my bed
thought of the things    i wish you had said
i took it now and i took it down
rested my heart that the heart
                                                     would be
                                                                  sound

it wasn't any mistake
i had a will that was willing to break and
i had fists        feelings intact
                    you  like perfection      just unwilling to     

act


1 comment:

  1. (you know who this is, I'm just at work because I am too lazy to login)
    sorry I didn't see your poem sooner; would you believe it, my email autoblocked you, as it has with everyone with the last name williams, it seems, because my professor's last name is williams and since I delete mass emails from him after I read them, it appears to have assumed that your last name is EVIL which is so not true. it's a good name.

    at any rate--loved "alabama," but then again I knew I would. and I love this one too. and, on another note, "all of this love." I wish I could record my thoughts as beautifully as you do.

    maybe see you soon?

    -alex

    ReplyDelete